What to see Inside Wangford Church

What to see Inside Wangford Church

Here again we see contrasting mediaeval and 19th century work complimenting each other. The nave and aisle are spacious and bright, with light flooding in through the large aisle windows. The chancel is rich in High Victorian embellishment and stained glass. The nave and aisle are both remarkably broad and are separated by an arcade of two bays and a further Detail of wood carving on the Church pulpitbay to the east of a stretch of wall, This was opened up in the 1864 restoration and was given an arch, to improve the visibility of people sitting in the aisle. The 15th century arches have qua trefoil piers with fillets and moulded capitals.

The nave and aisle roofs have preserved much of their mediaeval timbering. The nave roof has tie-beams and a restored embattled cornice. At its apex are mediaeval wooden bosses in the shape of human heads, flowers, etc. The central corbels on each side are moulded and supported by carved faces, as are also the second from the west. The north aisle has its original lean-to roof, supported on square stone corbels.

At the west end is the octagonal 15th century font, placed here to symbolise the entry into the Christian Church through Baptism, Its stem is embellished with columns and tracery, and supports a bowl which has quatrefoil panels. In the stonework at the top of the bowl can be seen the places where the pre-Reformation locking device once fitted. The open work cover was made on the Henham Estate in the 1860's. beside the main door, just east of it, is a Holy Water stoup. This was discovered in 1861 and contains a receptacle for Holy Water, into which people may dip their fingers and make the Sign of the Cross, upon entering and leaving the church, as an act of purification and re-dedication. In the north west corner of the nave is the doorway to the .turret staircase, Its moulded arch contains a 17th or 18th century door. Of similar date to the plain chest nearby.

About half-way up the south side of the nave is a pretty ogee-headed ruche, built to contain a statue; this was also revealed during the 1864 restoration, although it is now full of organ, it seems that it was built to serve as a chapel The tower arches are 19th century, as is also the chancel arch, which rests upon large supporting angels.

The The Pulpit at Wangfordcommodious reading desk and pulpit were once part of one structure. This woodwork, which dates from the 17th century, (and has in the pulpit the characteristic blank arches of the period) was once at Henham Hall. There is much tasteful inlaid work in the pulpit and reading-desk and this is thought to show Flemish influence. The elaborate lectern was designed by Blackburne and Messrs Richardson, Ellison & Co. in 1883.-It was given in memory of Admiral The Honourable Henry Rous, M.P., who died in 1877, Blackburne's chancel of 1875 is a sumptuous piece of Victorian workmanship and is crowned by a fine roof, resting upon angels bearing crowns and musical instruments.

The 19th century benches of the nave are plain/except the manorial benches at the front on the north side, which have poppyhead ends carved with wheat ears, and openwork backs.

At the east end of the north aisle is a 17th century Communion Table. This has been restored and enlarged, but it served for many years as the main altar of the church. A 19th century screen divides off the base of the tower, which is lined with brick and has a vaulted roof; given by their family The choir stalls are very worthy examples of 19th century wood carving, and fine stone carving of the same period can be seen in the sedilia and piscina in the south wall of the sanctuary. In the north wall, opposite, is a recess containing a framed description of the window nearby The focal point of the sanctuary, forming a background to the altar (which was made by local craftsmen) is the elaborate reredos of Caen stone, given by Sir Thomas Lucas of Lowestoft and carved by Mr. Seale of Walworth, to Blackburne s design. At its centre is a deep recess, in which can be seen the cross and the emblems of the Evangelist worked in colourful, mosaic.

Outside the Church ]   [ Home ]   [ Church Memorials ]

Whats On Things To Do Community Centre