|Wangford Church - St Peter and St Paul|
|Home Village Map Photo Tour The Church Where to Stay Where To Eat Businesses Links|
Wangford Church - St Peter and St Paul
Here people have worshipped for 800 years, through eras of prosperity and of poverty, of high’ and ‘low’ ritual, of husbandry and of neglect, of Reformation and reformation, of construction and reconstruction, this Parish Church of Wangford, which is dedicated to the Gate Keeper and to the Missionary, stands today as a place where people continue to worship as they did long ago and as they will for long years to come,
That is the spirit. The structure which embodies it is herein splendidly described by Mr. Roy Tricker of Felixstowe. To him all of us who love churches in general and Wangford Church in particular are most grateful for the trouble he has taken in compiling this history, which will evoke interest and sympathy alike, qualities he has so amply exemplified in his writing,
Stradbroke ... 30th March, 1982.
About the Church
Part of the Sole Bay Team Ministry. The Ministry was formed in 1999, bringing together 12 parishes in this beautiful part of north-east Suffolk. The historic churches of the Team range from large and splendid churches, as at Blythburgh and Southwold, to those that are smaller and intimate, as at Sotherton and Covehithe. They each have treasures of their own - including examples of contemporary Christian art.
Open daily 9:30 a.m. – 6:00 pm. (summer), 10:30 a.m. – dusk (winter)
Team Vicar: The Reverend Joan Lyon, The Vicarage, High Street, Wangford. Telephone: (01502) 578827
Churchwardens: Mrs Sidi Scott (01502) 578711 and Mrs Valerie Beckett (01502) 578987
The church is built on the remains of a Cluniac Priory and there has been continuous worship in this place for over 800 years. The building was extensively restored during the 1860's in the time of the 2nd Earl of Stradbroke, when the splendid crenellated tower was installed. The chancel includes some warm Italian marble and there are a number of interesting memorials including a magnificent lectern which commemorates the life of Admiral Henry Rous (1795-1877), often described as the 'father of modern horse racing'.
The original version of the Guide was written by Roy Tricker, who gratefully acknowledged the encouragement and advice of 4th Earl of Stradbroke, Patron of the living; of the Vicar, Revd. Miles Copley and of Peter Northeast and Birkin Haward who supplied information. It was published in 1982.
This Online edition is a copy of the revised second edition, produced in 1991 by Vicky Fisher, under the supervision of Reverend Miles Copley and with the encouragement of Lady Penelope Gilbey Patron of the living.
Choose a page below to read more about the Church of St. Peter & St. Paul at Wangford.
Wangford.net is part of the Blythweb Group of Local Sites and is owned and operated
by Blythweb Ltd
For more information see www.blythweb.net, email email@example.com or telephone 01502 440360.
Registered Office: Comrose, The Street, Wenhaston, Halesworth, Suffolk IP19 9DP
Unless otherwise stated all text, content and photographs are Copyright to Blythweb Ltd
and should not be used elsewhere without prior permission.